Me gusta comunicar con quien le encanta de correr. / Hope to communicate with everyone likes running.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

akikawa keikoku shizen-jin race

We headed in Musashi-Itsukaichi for the adventure race, we were 6 people.
I was hoping to run in this race since I knew it on Mezamashi TV before, it's a kind of adventure race. For example, mostly run side of river, in case of no road across the river. Anyway, I'm satisfied to be able to complete it.

At begining, I cared not to get wet in the river, and ran at around 80% of heart rate. (I didn't use HR.) I've been caring heart rate for marathon training recently, so it's getting my habit. Due to my first challenging in this race, I was afraid to fall down, so minded my step all the time. The course was very narrow, sometime I gave the way, sometime others gave me the way. But mostly, I headed first, and put my foot. If I wait, lose time so that found the another way to keep going on, and acrossed river even I soaked on cold cold water.

Before turning point, Brett passed, and Gareth was there. Also probably Colin cheered me. I turned in 35:25, and started building up running. After that, I passed Mami, and Gary cheered me. He was almost walking. I fell down 3 times, got off balance and landed on my hands. Climbed rock many time with caring and jumped! Very fun!!! Without realizing, caught two women, and finished in 6th place in women category in 1'08:22.

It passed by like a flash.



The great report was written by Brett.

In addition to the Homonji and Yagawa contingents last Sunday, a group of six unsuspecting Namban headed to the wildlands of Musashi-Itsukaichi like lambs to the slaughter for the 18th Akikawa Keikoku Shizenjin 10k. Perhaps lulled by a perception of similarity to the nearby and relatively genteel Okutama Keikoku Ekiden course, none of us was prepared for how literally the race organizers meant the "keikoku" part. This was not a trail race. This was not cross-country. This was 10k run up and back down a river. In the river. Through the river. Across the river. The ice-cold river of freezing mountain runoff. Over jagged rock outcroppings. Through trackless fields of waist-high razor-sharp grass. Between gigantic boulders. Back through the river which suddenly dropped off to become chest-deep. Trying to pick out on the fly which partially-submerged algae-covered rock was least likely to move when you committed your whole weight to it. Literally every step a danger. All while trying to run. Wearing a mandatory helmet. Individual results and comments:

Gary: 1:32:32. No comment, other than saying at the finish line that he had asked three different volunteers where he could quit the race.

Mami: 1:20:01. No comment.

Colin: 1:09:48. No comment.

Satohi: 1:08:24. In the early parts of the race I tried not to get wet in the river. Since this was my first time doing this race I was afraid of falling down and so minded my step trying not to slip. Even though the course was very narrow, I mostly ran my own race and put my feet without consideration for others. Then I didn't care about getting wet and found another way to keep going on, and crossed the river even though I got soaked by cold, cold water. The legs that moved in front of me looked numbed and red. I fell down 3 times, got off balance and landed on my hands. Carefully limbed rock many times and jumped! Very fun!!! Without realizing it I caught two women and finished in 6th place in the women's category. It passed by like a flash.
Gareth: 1:06:33. I had no idea where I was, or what I was doing. We stood at the start and reached a consensus that the whole thing would be like running through the gravel section of Honmonji, a drain on the legs, and readied for that. So we were well prepared for the first 200m of the race. After that, it was just surprise after surprise. Who knew we had to wade the river? Then wade it again. And again, and again. And a few more, a lot more times. Not me! And who knew we had to slip on slide on lichen slicked rock beds, trip over submerged rocks, step into suddenly deep plunge pools, scramble up and down the river bank, clamber over and round boulders? Not me! It wasn't a a race about times. The veterans sped off at the start, knowing that the field turns into a wet, cold, panting line, a human convoy. I stopped to fasten a lace and 50 people streamed past me. I could only pass a few of them--but then, few people could pass me. It was less a race and more about not getting hurt, managing risk, deciding what chances to take, trying to read the river (I need remedial classes) and trying to run like a runner on the few opportunities the course offered. I did okay. I went over on my left ankle three times, but never enough to retire. I only fell once, when a guy in front of me did the same. Igot home with a couple of very minor cuts, think I was lucky. Finally, and Gary might slightly disagree here, I thought it was a lot of fun, and I would do it again.

Brett: 49:57. This race was CRAZY. I've done a lot of cross country and have never seen anything like this. I led for about 3km until the course got rough and I realized what the race was really about and then backed off to avoid getting hurt. It didn't stop me from falling once and twisting my ankles four times. The coldness of the water made it hard to breathe. It also made my calves cramp up during the deepest crossing right before the turnaround point with the result that I went all the way underwater for a few seconds. I counted myself in 8th at the turnaround but was officially listed as finishing in 10th. This was the first time I've ever run in a race which was dangerous. Flat-out, simply dangerous. It was a lot of fun. The big bonfire-heated bathtubs at the finish line were a nice touch. I have cuts and bruises all over my legs and one bad cut on the bottom of my right foot. I had to throw my shoes away after the race. The guy who won was unbelievable. He was in his early 50's and clearly knew the course and technique, winning by a wide margin over the two 20-somethings who came in 2nd and 3rd.

1 comment:

Stephen Lacey said...

Congratulations. Sixth place is a great performance.

OK, now get back to your marathon training ;-)

quien es sobre de mi

My photo
Tokyo, Japan
zihuatanejo is a small resort place on the Pacific Coast in Mexico, it's my favorite place. Now I'm looking for a trail race in this summer, hopefuly run in a trail race and will prepare for the last Tokyo Int'l Women's Marathon to finish as my best on Nov 16.